This module introduces mathematical operations commonly used in construction, and explains how the metric system and geometry are used in the trade. Students will learn how to add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, fractions, and decimals, as well as how to convert decimals, fractions, and percentages.
Upon completion of this module, the student will be able to do the following:
1. Add, subtract, multiply, and divide whole numbers, with and without a calculator.
2. Use a standard ruler, a metric ruler, and a measuring tape to measure.
3. Add, subtract, multiply, and divide fractions.
4. Add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals, with and without a calculator.
5. Convert decimals to percentages and percentages to decimals.
6. Convert fractions to decimals and decimals to fractions.
7. Explain what the metric system is and how it is important in the construction trade.
8. Recognize and use metric units of length, weight, volume, and temperature.
9. Recognize some of the basic shapes used in the construction industry and apply basic geometry to measure them.